- Ph.D., Penn State University, 2008
- M.S., Illinois State University, 1992
- B.S., University of Illinois, 1986
Honors and Awards
- 2011: Eberly College of Science Teaching Evaluations: Recognized as one of the "Most Highly Rated Faculty" for fall semester
- 2011: Residence Life Faculty Recognition (from first year students)
- 2010: University wide award finalist: George W. Atherton Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2009: Kappa Delta Teacher Recognition
- 2009: Residence Life Faculty Recognition (from first year students)
- 2008: Chi Omega Sorority Teaching Award
- 2006: Alpha Chi Sigma (professional chemistry fraternity) Outstanding Professor Award
My primary interest is in the area of science education. I am attempting to identify effective teaching methods for lecture and laboratory settings. While I do not supervise a formal laboratory research program in the Department of Biology, I do enjoy collaborating with colleagues in Penn State's Department of Educational Psychology, and working with graduate and undergraduate students who are also interested in conducting research in educational psychology and biology education.
- VanMeter, P. N., Cameron, C., & Waters, J. R. 2017. Effects of response prompts and diagram comprehension ability on text and diagram learning in a college biology course. Learning and Instruction 49: 188-198
- Waters, J.R., P. Van Meter, W. Perrotti, S. Drogo, and R. Cyr. 2011. Human clay models versus cat dissection: how the similarity between the classroom and the exam affects student performance. Advances in Physiology Education 35: 227-236
- Waters, J.R., P. Van Meter, W. Perrotti, S. Drogo, and R. Cyr. 2005. Cat dissection vs. sculpting human structures in clay: an analysis of two approaches to undergraduate human anatomy laboratory education. Advances in Physiology Education 29(1):27-34
- Eder, D.J., Kaminsky, S.L., Bertram, J.W., Waters, J.R., and Wingerd, M.S. 2003. Laboratory Atlas of Anatomy and Physiology (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill Inc.
- Waters, J.R. 2003. Physiology Laboratory Manual. (second ed.) Wm. C. Brown/McGraw-Hill Inc.
- Waters, J.R., M.A. Janssen, and D.G. White. 1999. Web based cat anatomy tutorial. Wm. C. Brown/McGraw-Hill Inc.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Waters, J. R., van Meter, P. N. 2015. 5 Myths about Teaching and Learning. Annual Meeting of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, San Antonio, Texas.
- Waters, J.R., and P. VanMeter. 2013. Do You See What I See? How Students Comprehend and Learn from Figures and Graphs. Annual Meeting of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Van Meter, P., Waters, J., Firetto, C., Wright, M., Lee, D. (2011). Effects of Cognitive and Metacognitive Strategy Instruction on Learning from Multiple Representations in Biology. Presentation given to the Dutton Institute, Penn State.
- Perrotti, W., A. Fried, and J.R. Waters. 2011. Using Electromyography to Demonstrate Skeletal Muscle Physiology. Annual Meeting of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, Victoria, British Columbia Canada.
- Waters, J.R. and W. Perrotti. 2007. Animals, Models, and the Teaching Laboratory. How does science education research inform us when we consider alternatives to dissection or other traditional approaches to A&P teaching? Annual Meeting of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, San Diego, California.
- Kidwai, K., Van Meter, P., Grabowski, B., Waters, J., & Dwyer, F. (2006, October). Does responding to prediction questions impact comprehension of dynamic systems? Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology, Dallas, TX.
- Griswold, J., N. McDaniel, and J. Waters, J.R. 2004. Peer-Led Team Learning in Human Anatomy and Physiology. Annual Meeting of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, Calgary, Alberta Canada.
- Waters, J.R. and S.G. Gilroy. 1998. Using virtual reality to teach in an introductory cell biology course. Annual Meeting of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, Toronto, Canada.