612 Mueller Laboratory
- Ph.D., Penn State University, 2008
- M.S., Illinois State University, 1992
- B.S., University of Illinois, 1986
Honors and Awards
- 2011: Eberly College of Science Teaching Evaluations: Recognized as one of the "Most Highly Rated Faculty" for fall semester
- 2011: Residence Life Faculty Recognition (from first year students)
- 2010: University wide award finalist: George W. Atherton Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2009: Kappa Delta Teacher Recognition
- 2009: Residence Life Faculty Recognition (from first year students)
- 2008: Chi Omega Sorority Teaching Award
- 2006: Alpha Chi Sigma (professional chemistry fraternity) Outstanding Professor Award
Anatomy and Physiology Education
My primary interest is in the area of science education. I am attempting to identify effective teaching methods for lecture and laboratory settings. While I do not supervise a formal laboratory research program in the Department of Biology, I do enjoy working with graduate and undergraduate students who are also interested in conducting research in educational psychology and biology education.
Waters, J.R., P. Van Meter, W. Perrotti, S. Drogo, and R. Cyr. 2009. Human clay models versus cat dissection:
how the similarity between the classroom and the exam affects student performance. Advances in Physiology Education: Manuscript in ReviewWaters, J.R., P. Van Meter, W. Perrotti, S. Drogo, and R. Cyr. 2005. Cat
dissection vs. sculpting human structures
in clay: an analysis of two approaches to undergraduate human anatomy
laboratory education. Advances in Physiology Education 29(1):27-34
Eder, D.J., Kaminsky, S.L., Bertram, J.W., with Waters, J.R., and
Wingerd, M.S. 2003. Laboratory Atlas of Anatomy and Physiology (4th
ed.). McGraw-Hill Inc.
Waters, J.R., M.A. Janssen, and D.G. White. 1999. Web based cat anatomy tutorial. Wm. C. Brown/McGraw-Hill Inc.Waters, J.R. and V.A. Borowicz. 1994. Effect of clipping, benomyl, and
genet on C-14 transfer between mycorrhizal plants. Oikos 71:246-252.
Juliano, S.A., L.J. Hechtel, and J.R. Waters. 1993. Behavior and risk of
predation in larval tree hole mosquitoes: effects of hunger and
population history of predation. Oikos 68:229-241.