How To Apply
Admission to our Graduate Program is granted jointly by the Penn State Graduate School and the Department of Biology.
*(Optional) You may choose to submit a pre-application form to the Department for an evaluation of your credentials prior to submitting a formal application.
You should also review the Requirements for Graduate Admission before applying.
Steps to Take (Domestic and International Students)
To apply, please complete the following by January 15 of each year for fall admission:
- Provide the names and contact information for three references.
- Upload a personal statement of purpose describing professional interests and career goals.
- Upload a resume or curriculum vitae.
- Upload a list of the Graduate Faculty with whom you are interested in working.
- Upload a copy of transcripts (university records) from each institution of higher
education attended as an undergraduate or graduate student. After accepting admission, you will be required to submit official copies directly to the Graduate School.
B. Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores. Applicants are also encouraged to submit scores for the GRE subject test in biology. Institution code: R2660. Department code: 0203.
C. International applicants must also submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Institution code: 2660. Department code: 35. Scores from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) can be submitted in lieu of the TOEFL.
Inquiries may be directed to:
Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Biology
208 Mueller Lab
University Park, 16802 USA
Phone: (814) 863-7034